Monday, February 23, 2009

Well, here we go.

Well, here we go.

In my life, I have not shied away from change, challenge, or chore. I've sought out ways to expand my horizons, stretch my muscles, broaden my worldview, and learn new metaphors for trying something new.

But I've got to tell you, writing a blog has terrified me.

What is it about blogging that seems so scary? Is it an accessibility to my innermost thoughts? No, that's not it; I control what I write, and generally, I'm willing to share with most people my thoughts on everything from politics to poop (ooh! maybe that's my next title, drawing a stunning conclusion that my issues with both of those topics stem from lack of movement. Too early? Too early.) Does my fear come from an anticipated critique on my writing style? Probably not, as I usually enjoy writing for its own sake and blog as a means of sharing ideas, not as a step towards my first Newbery or Pulitzer. I've also been known to love correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Perhaps it's the commitment of blogging, of being willing to reflect and relate regularly.

Whatever the source of my fears, I've recently felt a growing need to blog. A need to connect, a need to explain, a need to close the distance. And so, I (wo)-man up and face the fear.

For the past ten years, I have been moving around the country. Since high school, I have lived in 5 different states, spent time in 3 different countries, earned 2 nationally-ranked degrees, driven close to 200,000 miles, worked for about 10 different employers, and woken up each day trying to figure out what was next. But these days, as I'm nearing 30 and settling down with Brad (my incredible and perfect husbeeawcheebles, as I affectionately call him), I am feeling more disconnected than ever. With those 200,000 miles and 5 states come unforgettable friends along the way, and it's becoming more and more difficult to share my life with any depth greater than a Facebook status update.

So, I'll try the blog. Hopefully, people I care about will read it occasionally. Hopefully, it will serve as a way to share the latest from the Baker Hacienda. Hopefully, it will help lessen the 200,000 miles between then and now.

No pressure or anything.

5 comments:

Tricia Carver said...

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I am THE first follower of Sally Baker's blogging adventure! We Carvers
(yeah, just Micah) like to blog and if I can ever get over the pressure of writing a perfect entry (both in grammar and mechanics) then I will. However, all I have to write about is the frequency and consistancy of poop (my babies, not mine). Until then, I'll read yours.

April said...

Sally! I am pumped that you're blogging now!!! I have a blog too! We can be blog buddies!
Hope you're doing well in Nash-vegas! See you soon!!!

Jana Michelle said...

Yay! More blog reading to waste my time...I mean..ENRICH my time... :o)

Theresa Garcia said...

YOU need MY help in layouts? You crazy. I love the blog and I will also be a faithful follower. Love you!

KC said...

this is great, sally! i still have not conquered my fear of blogging...